CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 13, 2009

New Look, Same Me

Well, my daughter finally guilted me into updating our family blog. In Meg's words, my blogging was "getting on her nerves" (parental translation, my LACK of blogging was getting to her).
So here I am, a new great look, but the same ol' me...
Have you ever taken a step back from life and looked around at all that God has blessed you with? Maybe I shouldn't say you, how about this...has God ever stopped you in your tracks and gently shown you His greatness in your life?
The other day, my sweet man asked me what we should build next for our home. Here's the deal with that...we absolutely LOVE building furniture together. We've built a rather large kitchen table, a pie safe (more Brian's doing than mine), two bedside tables, three end tables, a coffee table, and a massive TV stand. Most of the materials have been found around his family farm so were free to us. What can I say, the rustic look appeals to me! Not to mention the satisfaction of looking at a finished project, knowing that it came about with a hammer, nails,
some screws, just a few heated words, and two loving hearts!
So when B-Man asked on Tuesday of last week what we should work on next, my thoughts immediately went to our bare back yard. Knowing that my parents, sis, bro-in-law, and nephew were coming over Friday night for a meal, I suggested we try our hands at a picnic table.
And guess what? We did it, or rather we made it.
Brian was given permission to get some 2 by 4's from his deer camp and brought those home Wednesday night. Thursday night found our family putting together a 7 foot picnic table!
From scratch, well, from an adjusted plan that Brian Googled up.
As soon as I find my camera cord, I'll post some pictures for you.
Long story, I know, so I'll bring this narrative back around. Tonight, before the rain came, my family sat around our new picnic table for our supper: fried pork chops, potato salad (yep, Kara, still eating on that potato salad!), baked beans, cheesy broccoli, and pink lemonade. Sitting there with family that I love, with food on our table, in a house that keeps us safe and warm, in a neighborhood that protects us, how could I ask for more?
Sometimes when God opens that window and shows my heart all that I have been
blessed with, one of my favorite songs comes to mind:
"So if there's anything I've learned from this journey I am on,
Simple truths will keep you going, simple love will keep you strong.
'Cause there are questions without answers, and flames that never die.
Heartaches we go through are often blessings in disguise.
So thank you , Lord.
How could I ask for more?"
And I sigh in contentment ...

1 comments:

Kevin, Kara, Kolton, & Kannon said...

Love the new blog look and the picnic table! Never knew B-man and Lili had so much woodworking talent!